Wild In The Kitchen: Wild Hog Ribs
Wild Hog Ribs
It’s a common belief that the meat from feral swine is not fit to eat. That can be true if the meat isn’t treated properly or properly prepared. A great way to make a perfect wild-pig dish is ribs. The ribs from a sow are better than the ribs from a boar.
2 racks wild sow ribs
2 cups Dale’s Steak Seasoning
2 cups Worcestershire Sauce
2 cups Pepsi
2 cups favorite BBQ pork rub
1 cup yellow mustard
2 tablespoons honey
1 cup apple juice
1 cup apple cider vinegar
Favorite BBQ sauce
The ribs from a wild sow lack that gamey taste found in wild boars. Thoroughly wash the ribs and pat dry. Remove the opaque membrane from the back of the ribs. Mix Dale’s Steak Seasoning, Worcestershire Sauce and Pepsi in large bowl. Submerge ribs, cover and allow them to soak up the mixture overnight in refrigerator. Remove ribs and pat dry again. Thoroughly cover the ribs with a light coat of yellow mustard. This will serve as a binder for the BBQ rub. Generously cover the ribs with BBQ rub. Allow to stand at room temperature for two hours. Use the 3-2-1 method for cooking ribs. Place ribs on smoker or on indirect heat on grill at 225 degrees for three hours. After three hours, remove ribs from grill and place on aluminum foil. Add apple juice and apple cider vinegar. Wrap tightly in foil so there is no leaks. Return to heat source for two hours. Remove ribs from foil and return to smoker. Brush with honey and BBQ sauce and allow to smoke for one hour.
1. Prepare smoker for indirect cooking at 275F.
2. Apply mustard to both sides of ribs and season with AP Seasoning and The BBQ Rub.
3. Place ribs on smoker and cook for 2 hours.
4. Wrap ribs in aluminum foil – add a drizzle of honey on each side and 2oz of apple juice to each wrap.
5. Place ribs back on the pit meat side down for 45 min to 1 hour.
6. Remove ribs from rack and brush each side with The BBQ Sauce. Return to the smoker and glaze the ribs for 15-20 min.
7. Rest the ribs for 10 minutes, then cut into two bone sections. Brush each portion with additional sauce and serve.