Forestry And Wildlife Management Field Day
UGA Cooperative Extension is hosting a day of management courses in Jones County on March 29.
UGA Cooperative Extension will host the second annual Forestry And Wildlife Management Field Day on Friday, March 29 in Jones County near Gray.
The event will feature a variety of in-the-field courses that introduce forest management for wildlife. The primary goal is to focus on the relationship between timber management and the habitat needs of wildlife.
The event will begin at 8 a.m. and final course should wrap up around 4:30 p.m. Each topic will have a 20- to 40-minute course. Topics scheduled include:
• Wildlife Management for Small Acreage (8:30 – 9 a.m.) Michael Foster, Wilkes County Extension; and Patrick Marcellino, Elbert County Extension.
• Prescribed Fire for Habitat Management (9:10 a.m. – 9:40 a.m.) Southern Regional Forestry Extension
• Pond Management (9:50 a.m. -10:30 a.m.) Georgia Department of Natural Resources
• Fire Ant Control (10:40 a.m. – 11 a.m.) Patrick Marcellino, Elbert County Extension
• NRCS Programs for Conservation (11:10 a.m. – 11:40 a.m.) Dennis Brooks, NRCS
• Site Preparation for IPM (herbicide for woody invasion) (12:20 p.m. – 12:50 p.m.) David Clabo, Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources
• Managing Timber for Wildlife and Profit (1:50 p.m. – 2:20 p.m.) Charlie Todd, Jasper Co. Extension
• Forest Soil Health (2:30 p.m. – 3 p.m.) Michael Abney, Jones County Extension
• Food Plots and Native Warm Season Grass Management (3:10 p.m. -3:40 p.m.) Thad Glenn, Stephens County Extension
• Wrap Up and Evaluations (3:45 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.)
Continuing education hours are possible for Logger, Forester and Pesticides. The cost for the entire day is just $25, which includes all courses, lunch, a hat and materials. The scheduled lunch menu is ribeye steak sandwiches, potato salad and baked beans. Please pre-register by March 27 by calling (478) 986-3958, or email [email protected]. Makes checks payable to Jones County Extension. Sponsors of the event include GON and the UGA Warnell School of Forestry & Natural Resources.
The location for the Forestry And Wildlife Management Field day is 123 Oliver Greene Road, Gray, GA 30132.
Other Articles You Might Enjoy