Watch For Carbon Monoxide Dangers In Deer Camp

Tragedy should remind hunters and campers the importance of having a carbon monoxide detector.

Jordan Davis | August 28, 2015

Jessica Worthington, of Acworth, wants fellow hunters to know the dangers of carbon monoxide when staying in tents and campers during hunting trips.

Jessica can vividly remember when her dad, David Johnson, first started taking her hunting around age 5.

“Not a hunting trip went by without my dad and uncle together," said Jessica.

Jessica’s dad was also an active mason, and her uncle was an avid race fan. The duo were usually home by lunch on Sundays to ensure they could enjoy their other hobbies.

When the pair didn’t return from their Gordon County hunting club on a Sunday roughly three years ago, worry set in.

“Something just didn’t feel right, so we went to the hunting club," Jessica said.

The two hunters were found by Jessica’s father-in-law. The two men had passed away after falling asleep in their hunting camper with a small lamp burning that was producing carbon monoxide.

Jessica wants to stress the importance of having a carbon monoxide detector when hunting, not just when using tents, but for campers, also. Battery powered detectors are available to transport from place to place in this type of setting.

“Throughout the years my dad always kept me updated on new safety rules involving hunting," said Jessica. "They were always safe hunters, and all it took was one time.

“If people would just watch for signs and take precautions, my dad would still be here. I know accidents happen all the time, but I don’t want other people to suffer like my family has, especially in a simple hunting accident.”

A portable carbon monoxide detector can be purchased for less than $30. There are many to choose from, but here’s one from First Alert.

Become a GON subscriber and enjoy full access to ALL of our content.

New monthly payment option available!