Mountain Magic: Two Walker County Bucks

Hunter's Journal: GON readers share their favorite hunt stories.

Reader Contributed | March 1, 2018

By Rodney Simpson

The morning temp was in the upper 30s, and it was clear. I had a 25-mile drive from my house to my hunting land. The heater in my old truck had quit working the year before, but I had worked on it, and I thought I had fixed it. It was a cold drive, but it did start to warm up inside the truck, and by the time I got to my land, it was plum hot!

I got out to let the cable down at the entrance and drove into the woods.

A good warm truck in the dark woods is a good place to get some good sleep, so I decided to snooze a little. Before I knew it, it was almost daylight. I got out and started getting my things out of a tote that I keep my coveralls and vest in, and about that time “mother nature” was calling.

By this time, it was light enough to see without a flashlight. I got ready and walked to my box stand. It was now 7:10, and I was upset at myself for being late.

After sitting down, my glasses had fogged up, so I had taken them off to clean them. When I looked up, there at the end of my shooting lane was the biggest deer I had ever seen in those woods.

The time was 7:20. The deer looked up at me and started walking through the woods. I had to take a shot. I still didn’t have on my glasses, but I looked through my scope and could easily see him walking between some trees. I shot, and he ran off but looked hurt. I was so nervous, and I didn’t know what to do.

Then, 10 minutes later, I saw another deer to my left. It was the second biggest deer I had ever seen while hunting. I didn’t know what to do. Was the first deer down? Should I let this one go? He looked up at me and then stepped into an over-grown cutover.

I grunted, and he stepped back out and started walking away from me. I had to make a decision. I fired, and he went out of sight. There I sat. I had only been in the stand for 20 minutes and shot at two of the biggest deer I’d ever seen in my 40 years of hunting.

I climbed down and went to look for the second deer, and there he was, a very wide 7-point, even with part of one antler broken off.

I was now ready to go back and look for that first deer, and there he was, a very wide 8-point. To me, he was a monster. I was so nervous I could barely fill out my kill tag, but I got it done and got the deer loaded in my truck.

I looked up to give thanks to the Lord for my best hunting trip ever after 40 years.

I wondered, “Is this my last hunting trip? Because it has been great!”

But I am still here and can only hope to be alive and able to hunt again next year.


Submit Your Hunt Story For Hunter’s Journal

Hunt stories should be close to 1,200 words and contain at least one photo at least 2 MB in size. To submit Hunter’s Journal stories and photos, email to [email protected] or mail to: GON Hunter’s Journal, 4331 Seven Islands Road, Madison, GA 30650.

Become a GON subscriber and enjoy full access to ALL of our content.

New monthly payment option available!



  1. r.mccormick95 on October 20, 2023 at 2:02 pm

    Good story!

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.