Man Dies From Swallowing Fish

GON Staff | June 4, 2001

According to an internet news story in the Jefferson City News Tribune, a 45-year-old Viburnum, Mo. man died May 12, 2001 after attempting to swallow a live fish.

According to the article, a man simply referred to as “Peller,” who had been drinking with friends, yelled, “Hey watch this,” before grabbing a 5-inch perch from the water and dropping it head first down his throat.

Peller reportedly began choking and gasping for air. His friends were unable to dislodge the fish, and he was pronounced dead when EMT personnel arrived. Peller died from asphyxiation from the fish lodged in his throat, and he also suffered from lacerations to the inside of his throat from the fins.

Become a GON subscriber and enjoy full access to ALL of our content.

New monthly payment option available!


Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.