Fortner Is State Duck-Calling Champ
Jacob Fortner edged a former two-time state champ by one point to earn a trip to Stuttgart to represent Georgia in the World's Duck Calling Championship.
A new venue and sponsorship from Ducks Unlimited only added to the prestige of Georgia’s top duck-calling event, which has become known for attracting top callers from across the country. The Georgia State duck-calling contests were hosted by GON at the Outdoor Blast hunting and fishing show at the Gwinnett Center on Aug. 5.
State champ honors and a ticket to Stuttgart, Ark. to blow in the World’s Duck Calling Championship were on the line in the 2012 Georgia State Duck Calling Contest. Also held during the event were the Georgia State Meat Calling Championship and the Georgia State Two-Man Meat Calling Championship.
Georgia’s new state champ is Jacob Fortner, 24, of Lawrenceville, who used an Echo call to blow a three-round total score of 774. Two-time state champion Clint Shipman, of Byron, placed second with a score of 773. The contest has three rounds of calling, and Clint had the high scores in rounds two and three, but he couldn’t overcome a lead Jacob forged in the first round.
The 2012 Georgia State Meat Calling Championship went to Brad Neill, of Macon. Second place, by just one point, went to Zach Raulie, of Green Cove Springs, Fla. The Georgia State Meat contest has become a prestigious title on the late-summer calling circuit. Last year’s winner was Antonio “Duckman” Jones, of Little Rock, Ark., who went on to win the World’s Championship in Stuttgart.
Zach Raulie later teamed with Gary Orr, of Chattanooga, Tenn., to win the 2012 Georgia Two-Man Team State Championship. They edged Nathaniel Keith, of Grayson, and Ronald Laun, of New London, N.C.
Special thanks to Ducks Unlimited for helping sponsor the 2012 duck-calling events and for providing Yeti coolers to top finishers.
2012 Georgia State Duck Calling Contest (Main Street) Results
1. Jacob Fortner, Lawrenceville, GA 774
2. Clint Shipman, Byron, GA 773
3. Chad Gillespie, Covington, GA 763
4. Tyler Sellars, Toccoa Falls, GA 753
5. Nathaniel Keith, Grayson, GA 751
6. Chad Scarborough, Jesup, GA 749
Chris Russell, Gainesville, GA 749
8. Richard Holton, Jesup, GA 745
9. Alan-David Dykes 457 (cut after 2nd Round)
10. Kenneth Morris, Covington, GA 455 (cut after 2nd Round)
** 10 contestants
2012 Georgia State Meat Contest Results
1. Brad Neill, Macon, Ga. 771
2. Zach Raulie, Green Cove Springs, FL 770
3. Alex Ciraulo, Buford, GA 769 (16 years old)
4. Gary Orr, Chattanooga, TN 766
5. Nathaniel Keith, Grayson, GA 765
6. Ronald Laun, New London, NC 764
2012 Georgia Two-Man Team State Championship
1. Zach Raulie, Green Cove Springs, FL 777
Gary Orr, Chattanooga, TN
2. Nathaniel Keith, Grayson, GA 776
Ronald Laun, New London, NC
3. Truett Farmer, Rockwell, NC 772
Richard Laun, New London, NC
Other Articles You Might Enjoy