Conservation Law Enforcement Corner – May 2016

GON Staff | May 12, 2016

Screven County: On Oct. 22, 2014, Ranger Jordan Crawford was working a night hunting detail off Harmony Church Road and Cut Path Road in Screven County.

“At approximately 11 p.m., I observed a spotlight shine across the cotton field that I was stationed in,” Crawford wrote in the Department of Public Safety (DPS) incident report.

“The light searched the field several times, sweeping back and forth across the field. I was able to hear the vehicle driving slowly down Harmony Church Road. I left my hiding area in the cotton field and proceeded to follow the vehicle down Harmony Church Road. As I followed, I observed spotlights being shined out both sides of the truck. I followed the vehicle for approximately 1 mile, and then I initiated a traffic stop.”

The officer approached the vehicle and observed two men, one sitting in the driver’s seat and one sitting in the front passenger seat.

“Also placed in the front seat of the vehicle where two 12 gauge Remington shotguns, both which were loaded with OO buckshot,” officer Crawford stated in the report.

“They were also in possession of several flashlights, including two black mag lights and one yellow way-point spotlight. I asked (the driver) if he knew why I had pulled him over, and he stated that he did.

“I then asked both men if they were tying to kill a deer tonight, and both stated that they were.

“Corporal McNeely arrived on scene and began assisting in the investigation. After discussing the situation with Cpl. McNeely, both men were place under arrest for hunting deer at night, hunting from a vehicle, hunting from a public road and hunting without permission. Both men were transported to the Screven County jail by the Screven County Sheriff’s office.”

According to court records, Jeremy Crabtree was fined $1,000 for hunting deer at night, $1,000 for hunting big game from a public road, and he was not prosecuted for hunting from a vehicle or hunting without permission.

Allen Harrell was also fined a total of $2,000 on two charges, while two other charges were not prosecuted.

Both men received a one-year hunting license suspension and 40 hours community service.

Lumpkin County: On Nov. 17, 2014, Ranger First Class (RFC) Mitchell Crump and Ranger Shane Brown found a hunting blind and a stand, and there was corn between the two hunting locations. The property was off Talmer Grissel Road.

“Later, at approximately 1630 hours (4:30 p.m.), I went to check the blind,” wrote RFC Crump in the DPS incident report.

The officer found Jeremy Scott Sisk, of Dahlonega, deer hunting. He was hunting with a gun, and he did not have on required fluorescent orange.

The officers subsequently learned that the man was a convicted felon and not allowed to carry a weapon.

“I announced to him that I was a game warden and that I needed to look at his hunting license and driver’s license. Mr. Sisk complied and gave me both licenses. He had a resident hunting license.

“Mr. Sisk came out of the blind, and I looked into the blind and saw a pill bottle on the chair. I asked Mr. Sisk what was in the chair, and he handed me the bottle. The bottle had a pipe and a bag of leafy green substance. Ranger Brown came to the blind to assist me and asked Mr. Sisk what was in the bottle, and Mr. Sisk said it was marijuana.”

Sisk was placed under arrest for Convicted Felon With a Firearm and for Violation of the Georgia Controlled Substance Act.

Jeremy Sisk was charged with convicted felon with a firearm, violation of the Georgia Controlled Substance Act, hunting deer without fluorescent orange, hunting without a big game license, hunting deer without a deer harvest record, and hunting big game over bait.

Sisk was fined $1,490 and court cost, and he received 5 years probation, 60 to 90 days in jail, 80 hours community service and forfeiture of seized firearms.

Become a GON subscriber and enjoy full access to ALL of our content.

New monthly payment option available!


Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.