photo of a deer killed by Stacey Osterholtphoto of a deer killed by Stacey Osterholtphoto of a deer killed by Stacey Osterholt

Hunter: Stacey Osterholt

Points: 10 (4L, 6R)

County: Chattahoochee

Season: 2017-2018

Hunt Story

I just recently started hunting last year. My husband and son both really enjoy hunting, and I was not sure how I would feel about it until I had my first experience of killing a hog and then was lucky enough to also get an 8-pointer last year. I was hooked! This year I have not been able to get in the woods very much due to commitments of prior engagements and when I had a day off at work during the week, my husband convinced me that I should  go down to the hunting land and would hopefully be lucky enough to see a good buck. I left my house on Tuesday morning around 4:15 a.m. to make the 2 1/2-hour drive down to south GA in hopes to get there before daylight. While walking in I jumped two does and saw two more does a few minutes later, and then saw nothing for next two hours. I decided to get lunch and head back to camp. I got back out to my stand at 3:45 p.m. It was very hot and windy. I did not see anything for about an hour. Then I saw two does go into the wood line to my far left and about 20 minutes later two does came out to an open area in front of me. I was watching them and when I saw a 6-pointer with an unusual uneven rack. I watched him for a few minutes and then another large bodied tall 4-pointer came out. He is very impressive in size, but not the one I was looking for. Then all of a sudden all of them got spooked and ran off and out walked a medium size black hog. I was upset that she spooked my deer away and was watching them hide in the tall grass waiting for her to leave, when I looked up to my left to see a very large doe walking directly towards me and right behind her was a very large 10-pointer. My heart instantly started racing. I had to quickly reposition myself and move my gun to face him without startling them. I quickly got him in view in my scope and watched him slowly walk towards me. I was unable to take a good shot because he was facing me. The doe got spooked and jumped and trotted a few steps and the buck kind of jumped and looked like he was going to run. I tried to make a call to stop him, but it did not faze him. He hopped and took a few more steps towards me and then stopped and turned to the right and that was it! Time for the shot, so I took it and he dropped in his tracks! I was so excited. I called my husband and son and told them I got a big buck and I needed them to come down to celebrate and take pictures. They got there as soon as they could. I was beyond excited and was unable to sleep at all that night. It was an amazing night that I will never forget!
Return to List